|Location(s): Fort McMurray
Employment Type: Full Time – Limited Term- Anticipated duration 12 months with the possibility of extension.Inspector, North East
Want to work for an Organization that is committed to ‘doing the right thing’, where you can make a difference in Alberta’s energy sector? The focus of this Field Inspector position is to conduct oil sands mining inspections including spills, investigating incidents and responding to public complaints to ensure compliance with AER rules and requirements. The successful applicant is preferred to have strong oil sands mining experience as well as, an environmental background.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Follow and support all planning and reporting activities in alignment with AER policies, procedures, the Compliance Assurance Program, and Branch Operational Plan. Work and support with other team members to meet the objectives of the Compliance Assurance Program.
- Lead and independently conduct complex inspections on operations/activities within the AER’s jurisdiction. Prepare inspection plans and sampling equipment (if necessary). Collect and analyze information from varied and numerous sources to determine compliance, resolve problems and make recommendations to improve environmental practices. Prepare letters and inspection reports. Perform follow up action as required or forward the non-compliance item for possible enforcement action to an investigator
- Respond to and support others in handling incidents and stakeholder complaints. Support the resolution of complex complaints between AER stakeholders.
- Respond to calls on the 24-hour emergency response/complaint line (on-call).
- Communicate and consult with industry regarding areas of concern. Lead meetings and deliver technical presentations to industry and government agencies. Participate in synergy groups and at open houses.
- Support provincial teams as needed and be a primary representative needed when developing proactive inspection programs. Share the information between provincial teams and field centre teams. Assist and/or train and mentor other staff as needed.
- As a representative of AER in the field, field inspectors will adhere to all safety procedures, including, completion of field site hazard assessments, following PPE protocols, conducting bump testing and calibration of monitors, following safe driving practices as per the fleet vehicle policy, representing the AER on with internal and external stakeholders, collaborating with the health & safety team, understanding and following best practices when acting as a lone worker in dealing with public interactions and concerned stakeholders, and the risk assessment and response to incidents.
- Contribute to provincial initiatives or assignments related to operational needs, regulatory, and technical issues as appropriate. Participate in technical teams to develop and implement policies and procedures. Act as a subject matter expert, providing support to hearings or ADR sessions as required.
- Diploma in engineering, environmental sciences or other related fields.
- 6+ years directly regulatory, field operations, or other related experience.
- Strong communication skills; written and verbal, Interpersonal Skills.
- Ability to work independently and with a team. Strategic thinking and planning.
- Ability to prioritize work based on risk and value, Good knowledge of related experience.
- Comfortable with change, working in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgement.
- Regulatory experience including knowledge of the Water Act, Oil Sands Conservation Act, Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act and the Public Lands Act as they pertain to mining operations would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of various systems and computer software packages.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada at the time of application.
- This position is a Limited Term Contract with full time hours, expected to last approximately 12 months and preferably located in Fort McMurray. Candidates from other locations may be considered if willing to travel frequently to Fort McMurray.
- Pre-placement Medical and Driver’s Abstract are required.
- Additional training provided if required: i.e.: First Aid, H2S Alive and Driver Training.
- This position will require travel and some nights away from home.
- Possess a fully valid driver’s license along with a positive driving record. The word “fully” describes the criteria for a Class 5, as opposed to a graduated license, and “positive driving record” as defined in the AER driving policy.
Additional Working Conditions
To honour our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, enhance employee attraction and retention and increase environmental sustainability, the AER offers a flexible work framework that provides for hybrid work and flexible hours.
What does our hybrid work model look like?
- Combination of in-office and remote work based on your preference and business needs!
- Flexible work hours, while committing to being available during our core hours of 9:00am – 3:00pm
If you choose to participate in the hybrid model, you will:
- Be provided with an AER computer or laptop when working in the office
- Need to have access to a personal computer when working from home (unless assigned an AER laptop – dependant on business need).
- Have a high-speed internet connection with a minimum of 50 Mbps for downloads and 30 Mbps for uploads when working remotely
Benefits at the AER
- Flexible benefits program
- Work/Life Balance time off programs
- Healthcare spending account
- Voluntary Group Savings Programs
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
for more details on all the AER has to offer!
For Internal Applicants Only
- Under the AER’s Classification Framework this position is a SP3, Level 5
- In the event a current AER employee would like to apply for an internal posting, the employee will inform their leader prior to submitting their application.
- Please note: Should an individual with the required qualifications not be available, applicants with closely related qualifications may be considered. As a result, the position may be redesigned and/or reclassified.
- This position is eligible as a Temporary Assignment. Should the successful employee be a permanent employee, they would retain their permanent status for the term of the contract and potentially be eligible for Acting Pay as per the AER’s Compensation Policy. At the end of the assignment, the employee would either return to their current role or be reassigned to an equivalent role within the organization.
Please note, this job advertisement will close on September 6, 2022 at midnight.
Job Type: Full-time